VITA allows CRC the ability to assist low-income families and individuals to receive free income tax preparation on-site.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals. CRC went from serving 30 taxpayers during the 2010 tax season to 800 taxpayers during the 2016 tax season.
Get your taxes prepared for FREE!
IRS-certified volunteers will prepare returns via the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program for qualified individuals.
- Income below $54,000
- Complexity of return – Read More
2018 VITA Schedule
Community Resource Center
650 Second Street, Encinitas, CA 92024
Thursdays 2 pm – 7 pm
Fridays 12 pm – 4 pm
Saturdays 9 am – 12 pm, 1 pm – 5 pm
Carlsbad Library Learning Center
3368 Eureka Pl, Carlsbad, CA 92008
Wednesdays 9 am -3 pm
Oceanside Goodwill Employment Center
414 N Coast HWY 101, Oceanside, CA 92054
Mondays 12 pm – 3 pm
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I use a VITA site?
- It’s free
- Prepared by IRS Certified volunteers (Bilingual volunteers available)
- Learn more about your return/learn how to complete your own return
- Ensure that tax credits (EITC, CTC etc.) are used if applicable
For more information on VITA please visit www.irs.gov.
Do I qualify for the VITA Program?
If you annual income is below $53,000 USD, you may be eligible for VITA depending on the complexity of your tax return. For more information on which documents the IRS will accept, will not accept, and what to bring, please review this document.
How do I access the VITA Program?
Traditional VITA site: face to face appointment with an IRS certified tax preparer where the tax preparer completes the return. Please view this document for what to bring.
Facilitated Self Assistance VITA: The taxpayer completes their tax return using a free IRS approved website:
How do I volunteer to help prepare returns?
Thank you for volunteering with us!
To volunteer, simply click the button below to sign up and select one of the following under “Assignment Preference:”
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Spanish/English Translator: Be available for Spanish speakers, assist in completing paperwork, assist preparer in communicating with taxpayer.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Greeter: Greet taxpayers as they arrive, collect documentation, and more.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Volunteer Clerical Assistant: Answers phone calls, schedules appointments and more.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Tax Preparer: Must attend IRS Training and obtain certification to help prepare taxes for individuals and families.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Volunteer Tax Quality Reviewer: Review peer returns for correctness and completeness. Must meet requirements of tax preparer.